Friday 6 December 2013

Birthdays... the Good the Bad and the Ugly!




Having recently turned yet another year older, and with my husband reaching the big ‘FIVE O ‘ in less than two weeks, I’ve been thinking (possibly over-thinking) about what birthdays mean to me these days.  As the years have gone by, I guess I’ve  looked forward to them less, but actually I don’t really know why?  I read a quote recently which went something like “If you didn’t know how old you are, how old would you be?” and yes, some days the answer to that question may well be “65 plus”, but in all honesty, most of the time it would be a figure considerably younger than I am.  All things considered, I’ve decided that more good than bad comes with age, and it’s just a matter of seeing our birthday tipple glass as half full and not half empty.  So, this is how I’m going to view the passing of the years from now on...

The Good
My birthdays will be a day (or more, if I can manage to drag it out) of pure, unashamed, indulgent ME time.  They will be seen as my special day, a time to sip champagne and eat cake (lots of cake).  My mobile will be non-stop (hopefully) with texts and Facebook notifications from well-wishers; birthday cards of the hand-crafted, cute, sentimental, humorous and pure filthy variety will adorn my mantelpiece and window ledges, and all in celebration of the day that wonderful, unique moi entered the world! If I’m lucky, my birthday celebrations might also include parties, evenings out and, of course, pressies!  See below - a few photos of some of the lovely gifts I received this year, which might also offer a bit of Christmas gift inspiration.

The Bad
Harsh (but true) being forty plus, I am fully aware that  the champagne sipping may well leave me needing the loo in the middle of the night, unable to get out of bed in the morning, and with raging heartburn.  The cake will more than likely leave me feeling bloated, guilty, and will almost certainly lead to tears the next time I get on the scales.  I will also prepare myself for the fact that birthday surprises at this time of life might include a few extra fine lines around my eyes, age spot multiplication, and the odd addition to my growing collection of grey hairs.  I accept that I may also notice an increase in my short term memory loss (although actually, that will possibly be more to do with the excessive champagne sipping, in which case it’s more than worth it!).

 And... the Ugly?!
Well, I reckon, this will only set in if I don’t spend my forty plus birthday celebrations enjoying the ‘good’ and gracefully accepting the ‘bad’.  My plan to avoid any ugliness is to embrace my maturity, and the knowledge and ‘wisdom’ that come with it. In future I’m going to celebrate the fact that yet another birthday means I’ve been lucky enough to have  spent the last year enjoying my family and seeing them grow, have had chance to form new friendships and see existing ones deepen, and have had the benefit of a further twelve months’ life experience (good and bad).  And, with all that under my belt, I can begin to look forward to the adventures and challenges of the year ahead... that is, until my next wonderful birthday!

Okay, that’s enough deep and meaningful thinking from me... time for pressies!

I love this grown-up, sophisticated take on the recent satchel trend, and it’s such a fabulous colour.  http://uk.accessorize.com/view/product/uk_catalog/acc_17,acc_1.1/5890143000

Posh Wellies  - I’ve been wanting a pair of these for ages and they’re just the job to ‘style-up’  my winter dog walking.  If they’re good enough for Her Majesty, they’re good enough for me!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hunter+wellies&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahunter+wellies
‘Lovely’, by Sarah Jessica Parker.  Gorgeous fresh, day time fragrance, and a beautiful bottle that looks so pretty on your dressing table. 
Body Shop scented candle, room & fabric fragrance spray and home fragrance oil, in ‘Aloe & Soft Linen’.  Lovely pressie. http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/search.aspx?search=aloe%20and%20soft%20linen#/search.aspx?search=aloe%20and%20soft%20linen
Visit to the Theatre – surprise trip to see “Thriller Live”. If you love Michael Jackson’s music you’ll adore this smash hit West End Show.  I had such a fun-filled evening! http://thrillerlive.com/

Pretty little Pandora Charm to add to my collection.  I’m hoping to fill my bracelet by the time I turn fifty... running out of time fast! http://www.pandora.net/en-gb/explore/products/charms#!791224CZ/metal/05,04,11,06/sort-by/pl

I also had some beautiful flowers delivered (always a winner with me) and the fact that my 19 year old music student son, living 200 miles away, even remembered my birthday (let alone sent me flowers), was enough to make my day! Unfortunately, these were well past their best by the time I got round to taking photos for this post :-(  





So, here’s to many more happy returns! J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Magic Custard Cake!

Being an absolute lover of both cake and all things custardy, I was excited and a little intrigued when I stumbled upon this recipe for &quo...